Income tax on concessional interest rate

Tax Talk Nepal Forums Discuss Income Tax Income tax on concessional interest rate

Income tax on concessional interest rate

• Kailash
    Keymaster

Is it true that a staff availing loan from own bank under staff loan facility in concessional interest rate needs to pay the tax of differential interest amount over normal rate as per the income tax slabs??

2+
    Tax Talk
    Keymaster

Yes, it is true that a staff availing loan from own bank under staff loan facility un concessional interest rate needs to pay tax on the differential interest amount over the normal rate because such concession is a result of his employment at the bank. As per section 27(1)(d) of income tax act, 2058 in case the interest paid by the payee in an income year under a loan happens to be less than the interest payable according to the standard interest rate, the amount of shortfall shall be included as income for income tax purposes. Prevailing interest rate means interest rate available in market according to nature of loan provided. For this purpose, it is the responsibility of the tax payer to declare and justify the interest rate.

For example, a persons income during a income year is 4,00,000 and is enjoying a loan of 10,00,000 @ 8% interest rate where as prevailing interest rate is 10% . The such difference of 2%(i.e. 10%-8%) of 10,00,000 which is  20,000 (i.e. 10,00,000@2% = 20,000) and that should be included in income for the year. So total income would be 4,20,000 (i.e. 4,00,000+20,000) and tax to be paid will be 6,000 (4,00,000*1% + 20,000*10%).
    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by Tax Talk.
    1+
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.